Monday 4 July 2016

Taking The Bull By The Horns

Since Will and I last went out to the rocks on Rame Head in Cornwall, when he caught a Dogfish and I lost a couple, I have been itching to catch one. Luckily Ellie has felt it too, which leads to this story of three days and three new species.

I haven't fished with Dad for far too long. Work commitments and his current indifference to fishing, have meant that my long time angling partner has been strangely absent from my posts. We both decided it was time to get out there and amend this, trying for something different to our usual target of Pike. I recommended Rame as I felt it could throw up a surprise and (hopefully) at least a Dogfish. Ellie was eager to join us too so the three of us met up and headed to the mark. The descent to this mark is grim to say the least - its all thorns, brambles and stinging nettles. Dad was not impressed as he was wearing shorts! Safe to say his legs were torn to shreds once we made to the rocks. I was hoping it was going to be worth it, but as ever when I'm bait fishing in the Sea, confidence was not high, something that will come in time the more successful I become. Using frozen peeler crab on one hook and baby squid and ragworm on the other, we cast the two hook Paternoster rigs out onto the sandy area in front of us. We arrived at the top of the tide and there was a decent depth of water only a few metres out, it looked good. The weather was warm without being truly summery and it was a pleasure to be there, casting out lures whilst waiting for something to take our baits. Dad had bought a new Beach Caster and although it was a bit heavy for our fishing, it was a delight to cast. It also happened to be the first to go after what felt like an eternity. Ellie was closest so picked up the rod and struck, unfortunately the rod was ungainly for her and she struggled to handle it. Passing it over to me I could definitely feel the fish angrily twisting and pulling on the line. It finally came into sight and it looked like a Bull Huss! Something I was not expecting. Our anticipation grew but as it got to the very edge of the rocks it slipped the hook! It had happened again, both me and Ellie were pretty disappointed to put it lightly, we rebaited and waited with renewed optimism that the fish were there. The optimism didn't last for long though as we had nothing on the line for another hour. I had a take from what was almost certainly a Wrasse, it shot off aggressively then buried the hook into a snag. With the football on later it was nearly time to go but I was determined not to blank. I set up my LRF gear and dropped a jighead with red isome into a lovely looking gulley. The tide had really gone down now and it revealed some tempting terrain. I had a small take then I struck into a steady weight, reeling it in to reveal it was that fish I had been longing to catch... The Long Spined Sea Scorpion! Such a small fish but it was rather meaningful and I admired it's spiky multi-coloured beauty. They really are the pride and joy of LRF fishing in my eyes, all mouth and attitude, I was beaming, my Dad congratulated me but I could tell he was thinking 'we came all this way for that tiny fish!?' not that he would ever say it.
Time had ran out with no fish over 4 inches caught. Grudgingly we made our ascent through the jungles of Rame, some of us in higher spirits than others. I did feel sorry for Dad though as again he blanked, he believes he's cursed now! I owe him a really decent fishing session ASAP. 

Ellie had not wanted to leave and I promised to go back on my next day off with her. We arrived back in the same spot two days later. The wind had more strength and the sky was a quintessentially British grey. I set us up a rod each but we both agreed to take in turns if the fish started biting. We didn't have to wait long. The bait was in the water for less than five minutes when there was a strong rattling on the rod tip. I was sure it was a fish and struck firmly. Fish on. A heavy and wriggly fight quickly gave the fish away as a Dogfish. Ellie netted it for me and I had my first ever 'Doggy'. A fish that somehow had escaped my attentions until now. They are incredibly strong and agile out of the water, combined with their sandpaper like skin it makes them an awkward fish to handle. Personally I think it adds to their charm. It also makes them so different to any other fish I have been catching recently. Next it was Ellie's turn.
In what seemed like no time at all the rod started pulling round in that unmistakable way. Ellie picked it up and struck, the trouble is she is 5 foot 2 inches and weighs only slightly more than air, so striking a 12 foot long beachcaster is hard work for her, proven by the fact that the fish came off quite quickly. I was rebaiting when the rod still in the water went round, she struck again, this time her technique was better. I made my way down to the water's edge prepared to net it, whilst also trying to encourage her to keep her line tight and the rod high. She was really struggling, the combined weight of an angry fish, a 3oz lead and a heavy rod nearly beating her. She battled on though and got the fish up in the water, it was much bigger than mine and a lot darker. My heart said Bull Huss but I didn't wish to jump the gun too early. Eventually it was in the net, an angry brown Leopard-like fish, mouth agape and always twisting. Ellie managed to wrangle it in for a few fantastic photos and put it back in the sea. It swam away like nothing had happened, 30 seconds earlier it had been raging like a bull at a Matador. A quick google search helped clarify it was indeed a Bull Huss (though it was clearly obvious in hindsight), the easiest way to tell other than size is the Dogfish has a smooth rounded nose, while the Bull Huss has clear nasal flaps and a fierce reputation. We were both over the moon with the result and we had only been fishing for half an hour. It quietened down for a minute and then I recast onto a fresh sand bank. Almost immediately the rod pulled round and I had another wiry Dogfish in my hands. We were having a great run of form. Ellie's turn next and after another slower spell she had some small bites. She decided to strike and found her opponent to be seriously heavy! So much so that I had to take over mid way, it seemed to get snagged half way but then released itself. It felt strange but very sizable, we both peered through the blue waters in anticipation... Through the waves came the unmistakable orange of a Spider Crab. Ellie netted it out and we both laughed at this unexpected capture. Fantastic to see nonetheless. We had a couple of missed takes and snags after that but then the weather turned significantly cooler. Nearly time to go the rod bounced again. Ellie let me have it and I was so grateful she did, as it was a tiny Bull Huss. My first ever. He was nothing like Ellie's but I was elated all the same. We packed up after that and made our way home, satisfied with a quality couple of hour's fishing. 

One last thing is to say thank you to everyone who has read my Wrasse Article on Fishing Tails, I have had such great feedback on it and it was a pleasure to see it shared by talented fishermen like Nathan Edgell. I appreciate anyone taking time of out their day to read my humble thoughts. Reactions like that make the hours tapping at a computer screen worthwhile. Thanks again.






After that the totals are:

Ben - 28 Species - Perch, Roach, Bream/Roach hybrid, Mirror Carp, Pike, Rainbow Trout, Common Blenny, Corkwring Wrasse, Tompot Blenny, Ballan Wrasse, Rock Goby, Ghost Carp, Black Goby, Pollock, Goldsinny Wrasse, Golden Rudd, Golden Orfe, Blue Orfe, Golden Tench, Crucian Carp, Sand Smelt, Giant Goby, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Dogfish & Bull Huss

Ellie - 22 Species - Golden Rudd, Rudd, Roach, Gudgeon, Perch, Pike, Corkwring Wrasse, Pollock, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Black Goby, Tompot Blenny, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Ballan Wrasse, Common Blenny, Golden Tench, Golden Orfe, Bronze Bream, Crucian Carp, Common Carp, Giant Goby & Bull Huss

Olly - 18 Species - Perch, Rainbow Trout, Pike, Rudd, Roach, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, Common Blenny, Shore Rockling, Corkwring Wrasse, Golden Rudd, Blue Orfe, Golden Tench, Sea Bass & Giant Goby

Will - 14 Species - Rudd, Roach, Gudgeon, Pike, Tompot Blenny, Corkwring Wrasse, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Common Goby, Ballan Wrasse, Dogfish, Golden Rudd, Golden Tench & Golden Orfe

Robbie - 12 Species - Perch, Mirror Carp, Roach, Rudd, Eel, Ballan Wrasse, Topknot, Crucian Carp, Common Carp, Golden Rudd, Blue Orfe & Pollock

Shane - 8 Species - Rudd, Roach/Bream Hybrid, Crucian Carp, Pollock, Shore Rockling, Common Carp, Mirror Carp & Roach

Zoe - 5 Species - Pike, Goldsinny Wrasse, Rock Goby, Ballan Wrasse & Long Spined Sea Scorpion

Grant - 2 Species - Ballan Wrasse & Tompot Blenny

Head to Fishingtails.co.uk for up to date fishing reports and top articles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment