Sunday 31 January 2016

Tough Conditions & Proud Perch

This winter just seems to be Storm after Storm so far doesn't it? With so much rainfall I have to admit, for myself at the least, the fishing has been pathetically bad. But others have been catching so let's not focus on the negatives.
My Half-Brother Olly was raised by a true Sea Fisherman of a father, so therefore his experience is of Bass, Wrasse and Pollock. His Coarse Fishing exploits have been very limited so it was absolutely typical that his first ever Perch (and first fish of the Challenge) was a lovely fish well over a pound!
I blanked of course on our short lure trip down to my favourite Perch spot. He demanded to be included into the Challenge after that and how could I refuse? I think there will be many species caught by him this year. 

Phil also caught his first fish of the year, a little reservoir Jack Pike. 
Not the giant he was after but always incredibly welcome when the going is tough. 

So at the end of January it's fine margins with three leaders on one species each. Leaving only myself and Will on Nil Fish. 
It's worth saying at this point that I am currently going through the longest succession of blanks in my recent memory. Something that has both infuriated and humbled me in equal measure. I think we all can take fishing for granted sometimes and it's only in the tough spots we appreciate the sheer joy of landing a fish. It's something I won't forget quickly that's for sure!

Finally to the weather. We all on the Challenge have a soft spot for lure fishing and can be very stubborn with it. With the weather being like it has been there have been times when a different method would have likely succeeded. It's all a learning curve and hopefully this relentless wind and rain will ease off a bit in the coming weeks. I'm not holding my breath though, it's an El Nino year after all. 

Happy fishing and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment